Wild Rice’s Singapore Youth Theatre programme is a holistic theatre-making initiative – the only one of its kind in Singapore – that has been created especially for young people. Our mission is to provide a platform for youths to make and present theatre that speaks to and for people of their own generation.
Participants will gain first-hand experience of how to make theatre – from writing and directing to performing. At the end of the programme, participants will stage an original production under the guidance and direction of a professional creative team.
No prior acting or theatre-making experience is necessary. All you need to be a part of Singapore Youth Theatre is a passion for the magic of theatre and a willingness to learn!
- DURATION: 12 months from end-June 2022, with a performance showcase in June 2023
- FREQUENCY: 10am – 1pm, every Saturday
- Depending on programme requirements, the frequency of classes may increase in certain months and/or in the run-up to productions.
- Orientation Week: 20 – 24 June 2022, 2pm – 6pm
- Graduation Showcase: June 2023
- AGE RANGE: 13 to 17 years old (in 2022)
- COST: Free!
The 2022 Singapore Youth Theatre programme is supported by the FMAS Trampoline Fund, managed by The Majurity Trust.
Interested parties can book an audition slot during these times. Each audition will take approximately 15 minutes:
- 26 Mar (Sat): 11am – 6pm (FULL)
- 27 Mar (Sun): 11am – 6pm (FULL)
- 2 Apr (Sat): 11am – 6pm (FULL)
- 3 Apr (Sun): 11am – 6pm (FULL)
All available slots are filled up. If you would like to get the latest updates and audition notice for Singapore Youth Theatre, please sign up for our mailing list here.
WHAT TO PREPARE FOR THE AUDITION
1. Interested candidates should submit their application by 12 noon on Wednesday, 30 March 2022, to book an audition slot on a first come, first served basis:
- A recent picture of yourself
- Your contact details
- A simple write-up of no more than 150 words on why you are keen to join this programme
2. You are required to prepare and memorise two short monologues (one dramatic, one comedic). The monologue should be between 1-2 minutes in length and should be selected from published plays only.
3. The audition may also include a short interview.
A NOTE ON THE AUDITION
Please do not get too stressed about the audition – it is not a test. We just want the opportunity to get to know you better by hearing you read something written for the stage. This is, after all, a programme for aspiring theatre-makers to learn together.
If you need any suggestions for monologues, please let us know and we’ll be happy to suggest a few that you may be interested in.
ABOUT THE PROGRAMME DIRECTOR
Thomas Lim made his professional debut as a playwright and director in Grandmother Tongue, which was performed in Teochew, English and Mandarin. His sophomore work, Supervision, won the 2019 Straits Times Life! Theatre Award for Best Original Script. He has worked as a drama educator in secondary schools and junior colleges across Singapore, and is currently Wild Rice’s Associate Artistic Director for Youth & Education.